Recently we have noticed an increase in the number of reports from the UK operators regarding guideline breaches.
To help you avoid these problems we would like to take this opportunity to remind you about the content rating and campaign guidelines.
In the UK there are 2 content ratings, U (universal) and R (adult).
The following links will provide information about what is and isn’t acceptable for these ratings.
Answer Title: What are the Guidelines for Universal Content?
Answer Link: http://bango.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bango.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=470&p_created=1152106812
Answer Title: What are the Guidelines for Restricted Content?
Answer Link: http://bango.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bango.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=471&p_created=1152109263
Remember it’s your responsibility to ensure that your content is legal and rated correctly. Failure to ensure your content is correctly rated may lead to a fine and billing suspension.
SMS & WAP campaigns
When planning an SMS or WAP campaign it’s important to remember the following guidelines:
• Ensure the list of MSISDNs you are marketing to is no older than 6 months specifically for the UK (and varies for other countries and operators.) Best practice if using the Bango marketing webservice call is to get the numbers no later than 24 hours before the planned campaign. That way you can be sure your customers are still opted in for marketing purposes.
• If you are intending to market to users make sure they have opted in to receive marketing from you. Purchasing content from you is not sufficient proof of marketing opt in under Payforit v2.0
• You MUST include a working opt out shortcode/longcode in your campaign
• The message and the content should be suitable for the audience it’s intended for
• The message must indicate that it is free to the user at the beginning of the message, for example freemsg
• If your campaign indicates that free content available then there must be free content readily available on the site.
If you are sending an SMS campaign then you must also make sure that you’ve included the following:
• It should indicate the cost of replying to the message
• If the content is adult then you must indicate this in the message, for example 18+ and can only be sent to users that are over 18 years old
• You should include the merchant name and postal address including the postcode, or a PO box number including the postcode, or a telephone number that users can contact for support.